Tuesday 26 March 2013

Round the Savannah ~ Queen's Park Savannah

Band stand  opposite to the Savannah
Recently I started exploring another area of the Savannah. It started with wanting to  introduce exercise in my life and I decided to start  walking at another point  to where I usually interact with the Savannah and see how far I could go. Luckily for me, there was lots of activity which allowed for an easy change in the plan and I ended up walking through the Savannah instead of around.  First there were the Moko jumbies, listening to a talk on the history of the Savannah. 
Moko Jumbies
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Park_Savannah
"At first it was used as a vast cattle pasture in what was then the town's suburbs, but by the middle of the 19th century it had become established as a park. Until the early 1990s, horse racing was held frequently at the Savannah race track, and it also contains several cricket, football and rugby pitches. Apart from a ring of trees round its perimeter, the Savannah was never really landscaped, except for the small area in its northwest corner called the Hollows, a former reservoir now drained and planted with flowering  shrubs. 
Moko Jumbies

View looking out of the Savannah from one angle



















No comments:

Post a Comment