Tuesday 22 January 2013

Mornings and evenings in St Lucia


One morning when I was working in St. Lucia for a short period of time, and I was starting to feel quite blue, I saw a beautiful rainbow, the first that I had seen since I was there. It was a gentle reminder that  there were similar  weather features through out the world, if you kept looking, you would see them. All right the truth of the matter was that I remembered the promise of God to the Israelites and it was not the importance of the words , but the belief that God spoke to people. In the photo below, it seems that you can reach out and grab  the rainbow


Previously I had been looking at the ships which came in to the port, the sheer sizes of the boats as you can see from the comparison of the two in the photo below as well as the other photos.






I was starting to love the wooden boat which used sails and which was used for tours around part of the island.

This was the view from the other side of the bay. Many times I would look at it and wonder what was over there, as I was unable to see clearly all the way across. One evening my co worker and I decided to walk across. The road connecting the two pieces of land was "pitch black" and all that you could hear were the frogs. Needless to say we were quite brisk in our walk.

One evening while strolling, I came across these fishes. I could not believe the richness of the color or the size. Maybe the first one was to draw your eyes to the others.
There were also the buildings, some of which were modern both in terms of years and shape as seen in this triangular one below, which is named The Pyramid.  This  building housed the Alliance Francaise, an organisation which I was quite familiar with, as having  learnt French in school, I learned to appreciate the entities which spread the language or attempted to teach it. http://www.alliancetnt.org/http://www.alliance-francaise-antilles.org/en/saint-lucia.html



Another unusual shaped building was the Mall at Point Seraphine. Image duty free!!!!
The Square in the photo below took a bit of understanding as our Squares are named after old English Governors, Lord Harris, Woodford  to name a few and they are historical landmarks, but here was one which was dedicated to someone who was alive. I never got to walk through the square as circumstances did not permit it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Walcott_Square If you access the link you will see that the photos on wiki are much nicer than mine. Of course the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in St. Lucia is much lovelier than the photo on wiki suggests. It was th first time I saw Caribbean colors reflected in a major church. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_Basilica_of_the_Immaculate_Conception_in_Castries


And there was Gros Islet, with Rodney Bay with a large supermarket at the entrance, which I did not capture in photos as the sea was quite captivating.






No comments:

Post a Comment