Saturday 27 April 2013

Remembering Fr. Arthur Lai Fook C.S.Sp. 1919-2013


Fr Arthur Lai Fook
A recent photo of Fr. Lai Fook  http://www.catholictt.org/

LAI FOOK, Fr. Arthur C.S.Sp. died on 19th April at Lourdes House, Arouca at the age of 93. Priest of over 65 years, he was ordained on 20th July, 1947.
Uncle, great uncle and great-great uncle of the Lai Fook, Jay Williams and Huggins-Chan families. An Evening Prayer vigil will take place at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday 24th April 2013 at St. Mary’s College Chapel. His funeral liturgy will be celebrated on Thursday 25thApril, 2013 at 9:30 a.m. at St. Theresa’s Church, Woodbrook, followed by interment at Lapeyrouse Cemetery.
Fr Arthur Lai Fook, CSSp

I knew Fr. Lai Fook from attending  morning  Mass during the week at the St Mary's Chapel (College of the Imaculate Conception) which is located on  Frederick St, Port of Spain. To be honest I cannot recall him saying Mass while I was at school, however it was after leaving school, that I  observed him saying Mass there.  Funny how I can remember that now, as at that time I did not know his name, he was just a priest saying Mass that day. 
Now   I would say that he reminded me of  Yoda from Star Wars, perhaps it was the combination of  priestly robes, the shape of the head, the hair or lack thereof. At that time,  I think that I was too dumbstruck on seeing him, to do more than smile and leave the Chapel, slowly.
On seeing the younger picture of him , which was posted with an article on the celebration on Friday, July 20, 2007  of the 60th anniversary of priestly ordination of Fr Arthur Lai Fook CSSp (diamond jubilee), I am noticing what we call  "Bat ears" so maybe we are related as that size and shape of ears run in my family also, as well as the tendency for our hair to spike when it is cut short.




No comments:

Post a Comment