Friday 24 February 2017

Gardening

One of my aunts grew stuff - be it flowers, ground provision, dasheen bush and so forth. She also tended to her trees. She had mango trees  and when mangoes were in season, she would telephone my mother and ask her to come up with us to her home. At the end of the day, we would leave with about two bags of mangoes of different types - a lot of Vere, some Julie, some starch and some Rose...

My aunt also had several  green banana trees or a group of trees here and there... This allowed her to share green bananas with persons she knew and very often there was either curried green banana or boiled green bananas.

Now I find myself looking forward to the growth of bananas, not necessarily the green ones alone, but the ripe ones... I am even more happy when my eggplant tree which has fallen on its side, the only one of six trees which I started with last year and which has  continued to bear "vegetable". I am looking forward to the three little ones which are coming up. The sometime "daily application of peels" has worked miracles in that it allowed several of the flowers to remain on the tree and bear fruit at this time when young trees are scarce for us...

On the other hand, my beans have not sprouted. In despair, I have resorted to soaking some in water to see if they can sprout quickly.. I am hoping to get some potting mix to get them started as I have my toilet paper rolls to hold  the mix and the seeds until they can be placed in the ground... My next stop is to try to get the sorrel seeds started.. I think that may need a miracle....

No comments:

Post a Comment